What we needed
The number one thing we needed to do was give our team members a voice. Our transformation couldn’t be driven by a top down approach, it needed to be the voices of our team members telling us what was working and what needed to change. We were looking for a much more agile partner, which is where our conversation with Peakon started.
- Ease-of-use. Simple user interface for employees and managers to log in, answer questions and comments, and navigate around the dashboard
- Analytics. Overview, benchmarks, priorities and actions. No need to analyse the data because the system automatically does it based on employee participation and answers
- Forward looking. We are already planning projects for this year and next based on insights that we wouldn’t have if we weren’t using Peakon.
How Peakon helped
- Connected feedback to action. Employees can see that Peakon is driving action, which means they’re more motivated to provide feedback on a regular basis.
- Shaped management best practices. Peakon helps to identify excellence based on team engagement, and share those lessons with the rest of the business.
- Articulated engagement ROI. We’ve established a correlation between engagement, guest experience, and sales performance within all UK & Ireland restaurants.
- Dispelled myths about what’s working. “We thought onboarding was one of our biggest opportunities, but Peakon showed us we actually need to focus on employees at the 1-2 year mark.”
Growth & Impact
- 12% increase in engagement across the organization since 2019
- 85% completion rate across 960 restaurants
- 1.1 increase (0-10 scale) in restaurant manager engagement across 1,000+ locations after only 10 months of launching a training programme based on Peakon insights
“We can drive quicker transformation and be more agile in the way we plan because of the insights we get from Peakon.”
Chris Taylor, Director, People & Culture
How KFC uses Peakon on a day-to-day basis
How do restaurant employees access Peakon?
We coincide engagement surveys with our periodic company communications which provides an opportunity to talk directly with our team members. Teams are encouraged to fill out their surveys on their phone or learning zone laptops.
How do managers make use of the insights from Peakon?
Each manager does it differently, but what’s most important is that everyone makes time for it — and it’s working. We let managers decide on the best approach for how their team completes the survey, which has led to a completion rate of 88%. Excellence is out there, we simply give managers the freedom to find it, and then share that story when it works well.
How does Peakon help you as the Director of People & Culture?
It has become part of my routine. I can’t think of a project where we haven’t built the voice of our team members into the planning. When it was annual we would base things on gut feel or an individual opinion, now when we’re planning a new recognition or training programme, the insights we’re using to drive that transformation are coming directly from team members.
What does the future look like with Peakon?
What excites me is that we can drive much faster transformation because of Peakon. We used to plan strategies a year in advance, now we can go into the year knowing that even if we don’t have all the answers, we can adapt our strategy based on feedback from our team members.
What advice would you give to other hospitality companies?
If you think about how much you value customer insights, that is how you will feel about the employee voice once you start using Peakon. If you have any ambition of transforming your guest experience, it starts with your team, and Peakon gives you the platform to do that.